Essential oils have been around for ages and have been used in foods, as healing aids, disinfectants, and medicine just to name a few uses. There’s no doubt why they’re called essential’ oils as they are main staples of health and hygiene products that we use every day.
Below are 5 essential oils that have a number of different benefits that range from health care to home and garden maintenance, and many other uses in between.
1. Lavender: If you only plan to have one essential oil in the house, make it this one. Lavender has been used for medicinal and home care purposes for thousands of years, and is one of the most versatile EOs you can get. When it comes to therapeutic uses, lavender can be applied topically to alleviate skin rashes, acne, insect bites, and minor burns.
2. Tea Tree: This is one of the most beneficial and useful essential oils to have on hand, and with good cause: it’s often been called “a medicine cabinet in a bottle,” as it can be used to treat almost any common ailment. Although you’d never consume tea tree oil, you can use it topically to treat the following Athlete’s foot, eczema, acne, cold sores, nail fungus, warts, and insect bites
3. Lemon: This is one of the best essential oils for home use, as it has more applications than most other oils will ever dream of. A few drops of lemon EO added to olive oil makes a gorgeous furniture polish, and we add the EO to dish detergent, homemade laundry soap, floor cleaners, and spray cleaners. You can add a drop or two to a mixture of coarse salt and baking soda and then use that as an antibacterial scour for wooden cutting boards and butcher blocks.
4. Peppermint: Most people have probably taken a cup of peppermint tea to alleviate nausea or an upset stomach, but you can also massage your abdomen with a carrier oil that has a few drops of peppermint essential oil added to it to relieve stomach cramps and queasiness.
5. Eucalyptus: This oil is great for alleviating chest congestion (either blended with other oils or alone), and a salve made with it can also ease asthma attacks when spread on the throat and chest. That same salve may help to alleviate the pain of fibromyalgia if rubbed into the affected area a few times a day. A few drops added to a compress and placed on skin affected by shingles can
ease the pain associated with that condition, and may speed the healing process.